January 11, 2021

Trump Supporters Hold "Stop The Steal" Rally In DC Amid Ratification Of Presidential Election

Political News – Chaos in D.C. As Rioters Storm the Capitol

A day that was supposed to be about officially recognizing Joe Biden as the next president of the United States turned into something truly horrific, as supporters of President Trump marched to the Capitol building and forced their way inside, creating political news that no one wanted to see.

Congress had only just begun the process of certifying the Electoral College votes when a large group of pro-Trump protesters marched to the Capitol Building. They had begun their day by attending a rally held by the President in which various speakers, Trump included, used combative rhetoric when talking about the results of the election.

Not long after the throng arrived at the Capitol

Was shortly after 1 PM EST, they began to clash with police and break down barriers surrounding the building. About 90 minutes later, the Capitol was breached, forcing the evacuation of the House floor. Vice President Mike Pence, as well as other politicians in the building, were escorted to safe spots amidst the chaos.

The picture from the invasion that will probably stick in the minds of people for years to come was seeing armed guards draw weapons on protestors as they tried to force their way past the barricaded House doors. The images that followed showed protestors taking pictures inside the private offices of the members of Congress, including one inside the office of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.

Inside the building

There was a casualty, with one unnamed woman shot on the scene. She was evacuated and rushed to hospital, but she eventually passed from her wounds. Reports suggest that three other people lost their lives after experiencing medical issues during the attempted takeover.

By 3:30 PM, the Senate floor had been cleared of protestors, but it took a good while longer for riot police to step in and begin clearing people from the Capitol grounds. There were still many people in the area long after the 6 PM curfew imposed by the D.C. Mayor.

Once the Capitol building was declared safe, members of Congress returned to work at around 8 PM to conclude the business of the day. The President, who remained mostly invisible, save for a rather strange video message, had his social media accounts temporarily suspended. He had an aide Tweet this morning that he would submit to a peaceful transition of power on January 20. We can only hope that no more shocking or violent political news happens between now and then.

Get REAL, UNBIASED coverage of the latest political news from our experts at World Politic News Follow us on Social Media to receive instant updates on the latest changes in political betting odds.